Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What books, movies, and TV shows do you remember as a child?

Question:
What books, movies, and TV shows do you remember as a child?

Answer:
Books
I remember reading a lot of Richard Scarry when I was young. For some reason I loved the vocabulary words and the simplistic artwork. I also remember reading Go, Dog. Go! and I think some Berenstain Bears books. After that, the only other book I recall was one our teacher read in fourth or fifth grade. I'm pretty sure it was a Beverly Cleary book, but I don't remember which one. And it wasn't until I was in middle school and high school that I really started reading, and that of course started with the Hardy Boys.

Movies
One of my earliest movie memories is watching The Empire Strikes Back in the movie theater with several of my friends. It was a birthday party and that's where the birthday kid wanted to go. I was afraid of Chewbacca and covered my eyes when he roared on screen.

Another early movie memory is watching Back to the Future in my uncle's motor home. The fact that he had a motor home was cool enough but it also had a television in the front (in the top bulkhead area between the driver and passenger). And, even cooler, was he had an 8mm tape deck. So he rented (or bought) Back to the Future on 8mm and we watched it in the motor home. Way cool.

TV Shows
I grew up watching a lot of television, but the one that sticks out the most is M*A*S*H. This is mostly due to how much my father resembled Radar. Other shows that I watched included Three's Company, The Cosby Show, Cheers, Taxi, Woody Woodpecker, I Love Lucy, Leave it to Beaver, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, Popeye, The Three Stooges, The Smurfs, The Gummi Bears, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, and the list goes on.

I do remember watching The Three Stooges on Sunday mornings while dad made pancakes. We had a lot of bonding time while we watched TV. Not a lot of talking, but a lot of vegetation.

Photos:


References:
- Numerous facts were gathered from the private Richard Family Estate collection. These facts span numerous sources of information and contain genealogical data, photos, and newspaper articles.

No comments: