Wednesday, July 30, 2008

1943-12-16 - Janet Neville Letter

Description:
This letter, sent from Jane Diane Law, is unique due to a few characteristics. First, the letterhead is specific to a farm, Glen Echo Farm, in West Chester, Pennsylvania. Second, Ms. Law signed her letter with her nickname, "Stinky." Finally, the letter references two invitations (the reason for this letter being one of them), a phone call, and a young man.



History:
Janet Neville appears to have been living at 400 South Church Street in West Chester, Pennsylvania. Thanks to the magic of the Google Street View, we can see the house that stands there now.

We found a few references to a "Glen Echo Farm" in West Chester, but nothing regarding the Law family.

Transcription:

[start header]
Glen Echo Farm
West Chester
Pennsylvania
[end header]
Dec. 16, 1943
Dear janet
I accept with pleasure the invitation sent to me By you and for you.
[“Back” crossed out] But I cordially want to inform you that Miss Cissy Carson will be then visiting me so I wanted to know if [“st” crossed out] it would be alright if I brought her along to [sic].
Say please forgive the missspelled [sic] words, as you know I just graduated out of the 2nd grade.
over
Love, “Stinky”
Guess what I just got a phonecall [sic] from Delmore Farney. Thrill Thrill!!!!!!!!???! He said he would accept my invitation


Photos:






References:
- Numerous facts were gathered from the private Richard Family Estate collection. These facts span numerous sources of information and contain genealogical data, photos, and newspaper articles.

No comments: