Thursday, March 25, 2010

What Do You Remember About Your Grandparents?

Question:
What Do You Remember About Your Grandparents?

Answer:
I grew up with two grandmothers, two grandfathers, and one great-grandmother. All have since died, but I can remember some of the strangest things about them. Like my great-grandmother always had the funniest glasses. They were those old-fashioned, horn-rimmed type that always made me smile when I saw them. And I can still remember being afraid of my one grandmother, even though I had been around her plenty of times before. Makes me wish I could go back and change my reaction because I miss her the most. But instead of sharing all of my bad memories, I thought I would share something a little more positive.

In the first photo below, you can see my grandmother with her grandchildren. I can vaguely remember posing for this photo, but I can remember her house quite well. Everything from the couch to the pillows to the clock on the wall. I can remember exactly where she kept the toys (in the laundry room), what her kitchen table looked like, and all the little knick-knacks she had on her shelf (right as you walked in the front door).

In the second photo, you can see my grandmother as a child. Next to her are siblings and family members. Behind her is a sod house, sometimes called a "soddie."

My grandmother was a solid woman who endured many hardships growing up. But despite how hard her childhood was, she always had time to share her love (and discipline) with her children and grandchildren. It is her love and the story of her life I wish I had more time to go back to get more of.

Photos:




References:
- Numerous facts were gathered from the private Richard Family Estate collection. These facts span numerous sources of information and contain genealogical data, photos, and newspaper articles.

No comments: