Wednesday, June 25, 2008

1900-05-19 - Galey Letter

Description:
This particular letter appears to be from Mr. Galey's brother John or another close relative. John Galey was born in 1870 and has a middle initial "A" according to the 1880 census. The envelope has a postmark from Westpoint, Indiana but the letter was labeled as coming from Shadeland, a town outside of Westpoint.

History:
During our research, we discovered a listing for an "Alexander P. Galey" with a date of death of February 21, 1923. The same source has John Galey listed as dying April 1, 1941. Also found was a listing for one "John A. Galey" on the World War Veterans Memorial in Battle Ground, Indiana.



Transcription:

Shadeland May 19-1900

Eck I got your letter last Friday but have not had time to write I was home
on Sunday & got the pictures I have not heard from Wm since I have come here
& I am going to [unreadable] to him a [unreadable] I will send you $15 in
this letter I will send you the [unreadable] as soon as I get it I get $20 a
month & can get it at the end of every month so I can send you $20 more in
about 20 days I don’t think I will stay here any longer than till after
harvest

The place don’t soot [sic – suit] me I think I will go to Hannor or Decota
[sic – Dakota]

in [unreadable]

J. A. Galey

Shadeland


Photos:










References:
- Lafayette Journal and Courier Newspaper Index, 1902-1952, Retrieved on June 17, 2008 from http://www.ingenweb.org/intippecanoe/JC_ga.html.
- Memorial to World War Veterans Tippecanoe Township 1917 - 1918 Tippecanoe County, Indiana, Retrieved on June 17, 2008 from http://www.ingenweb.org/intippecanoe/BGMem.html.
- Numerous facts were gathered from the private Richard Family Estate collection. These facts span numerous sources of information and contain genealogical data, photos, and newspaper articles.

No comments: