Thursday, February 11, 2010

What blizzard do you remember as a child?

Question:
What blizzard do you remember as a child?

Answer:
The past two months have brought an unprecedented amount of snow to the east coast. Fortunately, the UFO Team has managed to stay on the outskirts of most of these major storms, but we have also managed to accumulate enough snow to make us wonder if we still live in the Snow Belt of north-western Pennsylvania.

So aside from this year's memorable storms, the one I remember most as a child was back in the mid 1980s. I am sure we got out of school (usually anything over two inches of snow results in a closure) but what I remember most was having a snowball fight with my Dad and building a snow fort. I believe this was also the year I built a snow bear (instead of a snow man). Needless to say, I had lots of fun being a kid in the snow.

Photos:
While I know there are photos of the storm I remember as a kid, they are stored in some secretive UFO location and cannot be accessed at this time. So instead, I'll share other photos of snow in our collection.

The HL Ranch in 1923:



Sledding down a hill:





A young couple in a buggy:



References:
- Numerous facts were gathered from the private Richard Family Estate collection. These facts span numerous sources of information and contain genealogical data, photos, and newspaper articles.

No comments: