Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Do you remember any historical events during your childhood?

Question:
Do you remember any historical events during your childhood?

Answer:
I was born in the year of our bicentennial, so I clearly do not remember the celebrations surrounding that. There were some events that I can vaguely recall as I grew up. I was old enough when the Berlin Wall fell to know it was important. I was old enough to be nervous when I flew over Mount St. Helens and saw smoke (it erupted in 1980 and I think I flew over it about five years later). And I was old enough to know something very bad happened when the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up.

But I think what sticks out most in my mind was the solar eclipse. Based on what data I could find in my research, the eclipse occurred on May 30, 1984 (a Wednesday) before lunchtime on the East Coast of North America. What I remember most is that our teachers continually told us not to look directly at the sun or at the eclipse. I vaguely recall making a little pinhole viewer that reflected the eclipse onto a piece of paper so you could watch the moon move across the sun.

What I do remember clearly is sitting on the classroom floor, looking out a little side window with the rest of my class, waiting for it to happen. I am not sure what grade I was in (probably second grade), but I thought it was the coolest thing to sit there and look out the window.

Photos:


References:
- "NASA - Annular Solar Eclipse of 1984 May 30." NASA Eclipse Web Site. Web. 30 Oct. 2009. http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle1951/SE1984May30Agoogle.html.
- Numerous facts were gathered from the private Richard Family Estate collection. These facts span numerous sources of information and contain genealogical data, photos, and newspaper articles.

No comments: